Sunday, June 7, 2015

Crazy Flytrap Lady Here!

Tessa here, with the first of many, many posts on my attempts to become the Crazy Flytrap Lady.

I ordered some Venus Flytrap seed today. I guess you could say it was on a whim, but maybe not so much. I've had several Venus Flytraps over the years; the first when I was 17 years old. I named that bad boy Friday (no, I didn't get it on a Saturday!) and I had it for years before it died. Of course, back then I didn't know a thing about Venus Flytraps. I wish I had - it might have been around much longer.

Thinking about what Venus Flytraps need in order to survive, I didn't want to buy sphagnum peat moss - for two reasons, really. One, it contributes to carbon pollution (lots of methane in that stuff!), plus, when it's harvested, they dig up a lot of carnivorous plants doing so. Lots of gorgeous pitcher plants lose their lives in the process. So I decided to research other growing mediums, and I've decided on trying Coco Coir (from coconut husks) and Perlite. I'll see how that works.

More later, once I've gotten my supplies, my seed, and have a bit of time to process the growing medium.

Later!
Tessa, aka the Crazy Flytrap Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment